(From readings: Spargo, Butler, Tamagne)
- How do they view sexuality?
- Inception of homosexuality
- Gender according to Butler
- Discourses on homosexuality: early medical discourses, psychoanalysis, religious models (Tamagne – p. 209-226 specifically)
- Identity categories/political organization
2. Why Paris?
(From all the Weiss readings, Nightwood, We will also discuss this in Monday’s Review Session)
- Financial incentives
- Existing communities
- Modern city
- Surrealist Theory of Inanimate Objects
- Your ideas/feelings
3. Paris Was a Woman
- Natalie Barney
- Gertrude Stein
- Sylvia Beach
- Who were they? What did they do? Who were there lovers? Where in Paris?
- Modernism – their influential role
4. Rue de l’Odeon
(Weiss pp. 26-58 and Hemingway excerpt read in class)
- Who were the key players at Shakespeare & Co./time period?
- Relationship between Adrienne Monnier/Sylvia Beach
- Authors inspired/aided
- What happened to Shakespeare & Co.?
(Nightwood, Handout, Class Discussions)
- What are the main literary characteristics of modernism?
- Time period?
- Who? (from our class discussions and focus)